What Truck Licence Do You Need to Apply for? a Quick Guide to the Three Main Categories

2 Minutes Posted on:

Driving a truck gives you a lot of employment opportunities, from haulage to construction work and many more industries. Because Australia is so large and the spaces between major population areas are so wide, a truck licence is one of the most attractive skills to most employers. However, before you take the first truck licence test, there are a few things you need to know about the different types. When you know what the benefits are of each class, from light rigid to multi-combination, then you will be able to figure which truck licence you should get. 

Light and Medium Rigid

Light and medium rigid trucks are the first two categories but they are often grouped together because they both relate to two-axle vehicles. If you want to drive a truck or bus with two axles that weigh less than 8 tonnes total, then you can afford to get a light rigid licence. On the other hand, if you need to operate vehicles over 8 tonnes but that still only have two axles then a medium rigid licence is the right fit for you. Other than that the two licences are nearly identical, and that is why they are often lumped together.

Heavy Rigid

Heavy rigid is when you start to add in more axles, and any vehicle with three axles and up is classified as heavy rigid. From those long, bendy buses you see to large construction vehicles and everything in between, heavy rigid licences cover a lot of specialised equipment. All three categories of rigid vehicle licences from light to heavy have the same requirements which include: holding a regular drivers licence for one (for light and medium rigid licences) or two years (heavy rigid), pass an eye exam and complete a short test specific to the class of vehicle. This test has different names in different states, and there is no federal equivalent. 


Multi-combination trucks are the biggest that you will encounter on the road, and some of them can appear like a train with the number of trailers that are attached. The vehicle no longer has to be rigid but is generally articulated, and it can be as large as you are legally allowed to make it. There are no restrictions on axles or gross tonnage, as long as the vehicle fits within legal guidelines. This test requires you to hold a heavy rigid licence before applying for it, as well as undertaking a medical exam to prove you can handle the stress and rigours of driving a multi-combination truck. 

• Tags: • 425 Words

About Me

Auto Ideas For You If you are looking for ideas which will help you to have a better automotive experience, you are in the right place. My name is Jamie and I would like to invite you to check out the articles below. I do not work in the automotive trade, but I have so far dedicated my life to understanding everything I can about how to buy, repair, and modify different vehicles. I spend all of my free time hanging out at the local auto dealership or the repair shop. I hope this blog is useful and that it helps you to have a better driving experience.